Does Your Car Need Suspension Repair?
There are many things we tend to take for granted with our vehicles, and the suspension system is one of them. The shocks and struts that help suspend the car over the wheels aren't just there to give us a smooth ride - they also help us maintain control during tight turns and quick stops. Like everything else, eventually the shocks wear out, and it's time to take the car to a trusted auto repair service for suspension repair.
What's so important about the suspension system?
When the shocks or struts start to wear out, we usually feel it in terms of a "rough ride" or more "bounce" to the vehicle. But a bad suspension actually has other consequences, such as less control and more wear and tear on the car. Here are some issues that arise when the shocks go bad:
- Tires wear out more quickly or unevenly. When the shocks are bad, your car's weight is no longer distributed evenly over the wheels, which causes the tire tread to wear unevenly, and causes the tires to go bald more quickly.
- It takes longer to stop. It will take you about 20 percent more road to stop a car with bad shocks than with good ones.
- Reduced control during tight turns. With a bad suspension, your vehicle body leans further into tight turns, making it more difficult to control the car, and making rollovers more likely.
These are just a few reasons why you should take suspension repair seriously. It's not just about a smooth ride; if you ignore a bad suspension instead of taking it to the auto repair center, it can shorten the life of your vehicle, and even endanger your safety and the safety of others.
How can I tell when the suspension needs repair?
We're glad you asked! Here are four ways you can check your suspension to see if auto services are necessary:
- Do the "bounce test." Try this simple experiment: with the car in "park," push with all your weight on the front of the vehicle, give it a couple of bounces, and let go. Do the same for the rear suspension. If the vehicle continues to bounce or rock more than 2-3 times after you let go, the shocks or struts are likely wearing out.
- Try the "nose dive" test. In an empty parking lot or street, try accelerating the car a bit, then stop the car abruptly. If you feel the front end do a dip or "nose dive," it's time to have the suspension checked.
- Do a visual check of the shocks/struts. Take a look underneath your car directly at the shocks or struts. Do they look dented, damaged, or "oily?" If so, they are probably leaking fluid and should be replaced.
- Check the tire tread. Uneven tread wear and balding are a strong indicator that the car isn't being suspended properly. If the tires are wearing inconsistently from one side to the other, you should have the suspension checked. (You'll probably need to replace the tires, too.)
For reliable full-service auto repair and maintenance in Austin, TX, trust the professionals at All Tune and Lube. They are known for providing quality repairs at affordable rates, with online specials that can save you even more! For a free quote on suspension repairs and other maintenance needs, they can be reached at (512) 836-6724.
All Tune And Lube Austin Blog
Written & Published By MORBiZ
6 Signs that Your Vehicle Needs Transmission Service
5 Indications that it's Time for Brake Repair
5 Maintenance Tasks to Have Performed before Hitting the Road this Summer!
5 Signs that You Need Cooling System Repair
Top Signs that You Need to Replace Shocks or Struts
Top Signs that You Need a Tune-Up
Need auto repair in Austin? Bring your vehicle to a versatile mechanic!
5 Signs that You Need to Replace Your Fuel Filter
What is making my check engine light come on? Here are five common causes
3 Signs that You Need to Replace Your Tires
6 Tire & Wheel Services Provided by a Reputable Auto Shop in Austin, TX
How do I know if I need brake repair?
Having car trouble? Visit the best mechanic in Austin!
How can I figure out which kind of automotive fluid is leaking?
5 Ways to Help Increase Your Gas Mileage
5 Warning Signs of Engine Failure
5 Signs of an Alternator Problem
Get Ready for Roadtrip Season with Seasonal Spring Auto Maintenance
5 Signs that it's Time to Get to the Shop for New Shocks or Struts
How do I know when I need transmission repair?
When do I need to get a tune-up?
4 Kinds of Auto Repair Offered by the Best Mechanic in Austin
5 Types of Maintenance Provided by a Reputable Auto Shop in Austin
Here's what a great auto shop in Austin can do for you
5 Ways to Boost Your MPGs
Helpful tips on how to identify automotive fluid leaks
5 Services Provided by a Reputable Auto Shop
Do you need new tires? Here are three signs that say yes
Is it time for a new fuel filter? These four signs suggest it could be
3 Signs that You Need Your Brakes Checked
4 Signs of Engine Failure
The Importance of Tire Maintenance
Are Regular Oil Changes Necessary? 4 Reasons that Say Yes!
3 Signs Your Car Needs Exhaust Repair
Why Won't My Car Start?
7 Signs Your Car Needs Transmission Service
Does Your Car Need Suspension Repair?
Why You Shouldn't Skip Scheduled Maintenance
When Should the Timing Belt Be Replaced?
Five Signs It's Time for a Tune-Up
Save Money with Auto Maintenance